100g plain flour
20g cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
a pinch of salt
40g unsalted butter (essential that it is at room temperature)
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
10 paper cupcakes cases
For the buttercream frosting:
200g icing sugar
100g unsalted butter (again at room temperature)
1 tbsp milk
10 chocolate eggs, cut in half
- Start by preheating the oven to 175°C
- Mix the butter, flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and the salt in a large bowl until you get a sandy consitency and everything is combined.
- Whisk the milk, egg and vanilla extract together in a smaller bowl, then slowly pour about half into the flour mixture, beat to combine, then add the other half. Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the buttercream frosting, mix the unsalted butter until it's smooth. Then gradually add the icing sugar and one tbsp of milk. Mix well.
- When the cupcakes are cooled, spread the frosting on with a pallet knife, or squeeze it on with a piping bag. To finish it all off, decorate your cupcakes with the chocolate eggs and drizzle some melted chocolate on top.